Thursday, October 18, 2007

Countdown Week 28

For no logical reason, I've decided to title these "New comics this week" post by the Countdown week they correspond to, at least while said title is going on. Why? Because...well, it's easy enough. It's my blog. Shut up.

Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis 57: I tried to drop this title so many times. After four issues of the new direction, I tossed it, only to grab all the back-issues I missed a few months later. Then the writer changed and I told myself I dropped it after the first three issues...then I wound up grabbing the next one. Then it was canceled, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to stay on the title until the end. It's not a BAD book, per say, and I don't have that "The new Aquaman sucks, let's boycott him" personality. The problem is, the book's not particularly good, either. It's just a mediocre superhero story, and for a final issue, it opens more questions than it solves, at least as far as I'm concerned--and we still don't have an explanation for NewAquaman's random appearance in JLofA#12 a few months back, where he was talking with Martian Manhunter about the League...even though "Joseph", as he now likes to be called, has no experience with the League whatsoever. And now he's apparently got part of Orin's soul in him? 'Kay. Wait, what? I spoiled the book for you? Eh. The book is so ignored, most of the people I talk to had no idea Orin was even killed off, which you'd think would be big news amongst the comics community, right?

Birds of Prey 111: Some people don't like Tony Bedard. I'm not one of them. Is he one of my all time favorite, absolutely-must-have writers? No. Sorry Tony. But I've enjoyed almost everything he's written ever since I wandered across an issue of the Exiles over a year back, and I followed his crossing to DC happily. The issue...to be honest, I'm not entirely sure it feels like Gail Simone left. There's a slight difference, but not that much, and I would actually be perfectly fine reading this title as an ongoing by Bedard, instead of just a few fill-in issues. We've got a fun story that furthers the emnity between Oracle and Calculator, set-up during Infinite Crisis and referenced again about a month or so ago in Countdown. This issue isn't breaking all sorts of barriers with it's storytelling or anything, but it's a solid, respectable story that I thoroughly enjoyed. Nothing wrong with that, right?

Brave and the Bold 7: My book of the week, easily. Could it be Mark Waid's excellent writing talent? Or perhaps George Perez's pencils, better than I have ever seen? Or maybe it was the done-in-one aspect of the story, starring Wonder Woman and Power Girl--two characters I've really warmed too lately--exploring the Library of Alexandria? More likely, it was all of these things combined. It's sad, really, because I almost didn't pick up this title, due to my nonexistent interest in a story arc featuring Batman and Green Lantern to start things off. But I'm oh-so-glad I did, because this book is consistently one of my favorites, and each issue is better than the last. If someone isn't picking this up, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. I'm debating as to whether or not I want to buy this in collected form, as well.

Checkmate 19: I'm afraid this title is going to die. During the first twelve issues, this wasn't really much of a concern for me--it was decent enough, but hardly one of my favorites. During the Outsiders crossover, I was bored. But now? With the Fall of the Wall? I'm anxiously awaiting every new issue with baited breath. Rucka is hitting it out of the park. You know what this title needs, though? More Ice. Am I right? Come on, Fire's her guardian or whatever now--shove her in for an issue or two!

Countdown Week 28: Decompression! Yayyy! At least there's a little advancement in some issues now. Jimmy Olsen and Piper/Trickster are actually doing something different. Mary Marvel is still doing bad things with Eclipso, though, and Karate Kid and the Challengers are still on their respective scavenger hunts, the same places they were last issue. Ah well. Only six more months until Morrison saves us with Final Crisis.

Justice League of America 14: Dwayne McDuffie's run on the title, only two issues in (three, if you count the JLA Wedding Special), is already miles ahead of where Meltzer's was. The character building is less, I'll admit--but after twelve issues of slow plots and decompression, I'm actually excited by everything going on in this title. It has it's flaws--the obvious homages to JLU and the Superfriends, while enjoyable on one hand, can be very distracting--but for the most part, this is a very solid superhero story for this group that I haven't seen since...well, since the JLA title.

Quick Marvel Rundown: New Excalibur is randomly canceled even though they announced a new writer for it? Alright? Whatever. X-Men: Emperor Vulcan is annoying, but the fan in me demands I follow Rachel Grey. And Mighty Avengers was actually really good this month...unfortunately, the delays have almost killed my interest in the title.

No, I don't read Captain America month-to-month. I plan to eventually do a full trade run of the title, probably when I get so sick of DC during this project that I need a break. I estimate that'll occur somewhere between Crisis on Infinite Earths and Zero Hour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I picked up Aquaman when Kurt Busiek took over for One Year Later, but the story simply didn't grab me, and I left after only a few issues.

I agree that the Birds of Prey story was very enjoyable. And yes, if I hadn't known that Bedard had taken over, I wouldn't have known that it wasn't a Simone story.

Brave and the Bold -- I tend to like any story that portrays Power Girl as she should be portrayed, as someone who revels in her powers and loves what she does as a superhero. There was a little of that here, but an issue of Justice Society of America a few months back did a much better job of presenting that side of her.

Countdown I'm mostly getting simply because it's supposed to lead somewhere, and I like exploring the multiverse.

And McDuffie is doing a great job with Justice League.